What can compare to the smell of artisan bread fresh from the oven at our bakery café? Your mouth will water and your eyes will delight in the crusty beauty of our bread. Families and restaurants alike make a ritual of buying fresh artisan bread for enjoyment and health.
Bread Made in the Old-World Way
Our skilled and experienced artisan bakers mix the finest ingredients to make more than 30 varieties of European-style bread in the Old-World tradition. We use non-bromated, unbleached flours, filtered water, natural starters, and sea salt for our chewy creations.
The bread rises to the occasion with the help of 15-year-old levains and starters that use natural wild yeast found in the air from the waters surrounding the North Fork of Long Island, as well as the many local vineyards and farms.
Since our bakers do not add dough conditioners, stabilizers, or preservatives to our bread, we recommend that you eat a loaf as soon as possible so you can savor the crispy outside and tender inside.
Fermentation Adds Tangy Taste to Sourdough
The smell of our bread attracts customers from around the region. Deeply inhaling the scent is an essential part of the experience of artisan breads. For example, the scent of sourdough is distinctive, and is only achieved by lengthy fermentation.
Typically, we allow dough to ferment for 24-30 hours before shaping it into loaves or boules (rounds). Then, our bakers use “cold” fermentation for an additional 10-12 hours before we bake our masterpieces in our stone hearth ovens.
Delicious & Nutritious Sourdough
The scrumptious goodness and tangy taste of sourdough makes it not only delicious, but nutritious. Commercially produced breads contain only a fraction of the original nutritional content after all that processing. This is not the case with our artisan breads.
Here are some health benefits of our sourdough loaves and rolls:
- Sourdough bread contains lactoballicus bacteria in greater proportions to yeast than do other types of bread. The plentiful presence of these good bacteria means more lactic acid. Lactic acid allows more nutrients to be absorbed by the body, which eases digestion.
- The lengthy preparation of the breads allow for more protein gluten to be broken down into amino acids. The bacteria-yeast combination works to pre-digest the starches, again promoting easier digestion.
- The acetic acid which is produced serves as a natural preservative by inhibiting the growth of mold.
- Studies have shown that the acids in white sourdough bread slow down the rate of glucose that enters the bloodstream and lowers the bread’s glycemic index, which prevents spikes in insulin levels.
- Sourdough bread contains a wide array of vitamins and minerals, such as:
Continuing an Ancient Tradition
Sourdough bread made with wild yeast, bacteria, and whole grains is the oldest form of leavened bread. Our bakery café continues this tradition using Old-World recipes and processes that produce only the finest and truest form of delicious, healthy breads for you and your family.
Contact us today to enjoy bread made with in the Old-World way. Our bakery café serves residents and visitors of Southampton, Southold, Riverhead, and Greenport, New York.
Our breads are available at the following retailers and restaurants: